Thursday, February 7, 2013

True or False? This IS a test!


I love writing because it helps me put things in my own words and gain a fresh perspective. The hill hasn't changed, but it looks different if you're at the top instead of the bottom.  As I endeavor to help others understand, I find that it increases my understanding as well. You know you know it if you can teach it, right?

Today I was studying in Galatians, and verse 8 caught my attention.

Galatians 1:8
But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

"Accursed" is a pretty strong word, so it caught my attention. I turned to some of my favorite commentators.

According to Clarke...that Gospel which I {Paul} have already preached to you is the only true Gospel; were I to preach any other, I should incur the curse of God. If your false teachers pretend, as many in early times did, that they received their accounts by the ministry of an angel, let them be accursed; separate them from your company, and have no religious communion with them. Leave them to that God who will show his displeasure against all who corrupt, all who add to, and all who take from the word of his revelation. Let all those who, from the fickleness of their own minds, are ready to favor the reveries of every pretended prophet and prophetess who starts up, consider the awful words of the apostle. As, in the law, the receiver of stolen goods is as bad as the thief; so the encouragers of such pretended revelations are as bad, in the sight of God, as those impostors themselves. 

Harsh words. Words designed to wake us up and open our eyes to the danger of false gospels masquerading as truth. Words which indicate that if we believe them, we are as bad as the preachers preaching those false gospels. Time for some self-examination.  DO I know the truth? Am I willing, like the Bereans, not only to receive the Word eagerly, but to look into it daily to see if what my teachers are saying is true?

How many times have you heard, "An angel told me..." or "The Lord revealed to me..."? Now how many of those times did whatever follows that statement conflict with God's revealed will in scripture? Maybe you've even had someone tell you that if you were mature enough, you'd understand the way they do. From the fickleness of their own minds they devise and promote a false gospel; and from lack of understanding, you follow and perish. God's people are destroyed for lack of knowledge.

It's not that we don't know stuff about God.  It's that we don't KNOW God...that intimate knowledge that comes from experiencing His personal protection and perfect provision in our lives. Abiding. Sitting at His feet. Spending undistracted time reading His word.

When we know the truth, we will not be led astray by doctrines or philosophies of man that sound like they could be from God. We will recognize that fake bill someone is trying to pass us rather than being taken in by the counterfeit and paying the price. We will reject what looks good for the sake of what is real.

Beware of seduction and enticing words, false teachers perverting the gospel; instead, walk in Christ, abounding in faith and holiness. Study to show yourself approved unto God, a workman who needs not be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. (2 Timothy 2:15) All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness. (2 Timothy 3:16)

It will take strict training, and a reordering of my perspective. It will not always be easy. But I CAN find the simple truth, right there in the pages of His word. Having a grasp on the true gospel message keeps me from being drawn into other versions which dilute or pollute...versions which complicate my life, draw me away from Christ, and bring curses upon me. The break my communion with the Lord, and with other believers. Even as I continue to grow in my knowledge and understanding of God, I am learning to be content to obey what I already know.

<>< Blessings! ><>

No comments:

Post a Comment