Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Knock, knock...



I have been trying to get my parents to move to North Carolina for a long time. There always seems to be a house for sale in our neighborhood.  Seems perfect, right?  Yeah, except that I always say I would love my parents to move here, as long as they’re not in my neighborhood. Now, my mom reads this blog – so help me encourage her to move to this area…just not in my neighborhood. J
There are lots of reasons I want my parents closer: more quality time with them, less travel, great memories for the grandkids, the ability to effectively help with the medical issues that come with aging parents, the amount of home improvement help my dad still gives!  There are also lots of reasons I don’t want them right next door or even around the corner – you can probably guess some of those.
But it started me thinking… do I say that about Jesus?
?         Do I want Him close, but not in “my” neighborhood? 
?         Do I want Him close enough to reap the benefits of His presence, but not so close that He might “interfere with” my own plans?
?         Do I want Him close enough to call Him whenever I need Him, but not so close that He interjects and tells me how to run my life?
?         Do I want Him close enough to fix everything, but not so close that He can come in with his own key and fix it on His own time schedule instead of mine?


Revelation 3:20… Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me.

Though my conduct has been loathsome and offensive, Jesus is still knocks. All attempts at reconciliation are originated in Him, initiated by Him and affected through Him. Though I am a sinner, He announces His presence and desire for admittance; he waits for my permission to enter, recognizing my right to open the door, or not. He does not forcibly enter, but waits – calling to me by His word and the Spirit to repent. And when I open the door, He reveals Himself to me. He comes in, bringing pardon and provision.

He is not a meddling neighbor or a busybody, seeking his own good. He is not aloof or holed up behind his fence, uncaring. He is that neighbor who knows your need and stands patiently on your porch, waiting to bless you with a meal you did not have to prepare. Open the door, Sinner… let the Savior in!



“Scripture quotations are from The Holy Bible, English Standard Version® (ESV®), copyright © 2001 by Crossway, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved.”

No comments:

Post a Comment